Candidate for Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric and Metabolic surgeries were considered as gastrointestinal surgeries aimed at improving and/ortreating clinically severe obesity and associated co-morbidities.Hence these were considered to belife saving and not cosmeticsurgeries.
Currently accepted bariatric procedures fall in the category ofrestrictive,malabsorptive or a combination of the two.
You could be a candidate for surgical weight loss if you meet any of the following criteria:
- BMI >35 with/without presence any obesity-related co-morbidities.
- BMI>30 with the presence of DM/any significant obesity related co-morbidities.
- BMI>27.5 as a second line therapy for failure of optimum medical management or established secondary complications of T2DM.
- Patients needs to be motivated to lose weight and commitment to long term follow up.
- Patient should have attempted conservative methods of weight loss and failed.
- Bariatric Surgery to be considered only between ages of 18-65 yrs.
- Bariatric surgery may be considered in patients more than 65 yrs in the presence of severe obesity related co-morbidities/disability if the risk benefit ratio favours improved quality of life for the patient’s remaining years.
- Bariatric Surgery may be considered in patients < 18 yrs in special situations after paediatrician/endocrinology certification , but after attainment of puberty or completion of skeletal maturity.
You may not be a candidate for surgical weight loss if:
- Patient who is unable to participate in prolonged medical follow-up.
- Non-stabilized psychotic disorders, severe depression, personality and eating disorders, unless specifically advised by a psychiatrist experienced in obesity.
- Alcohol abuse and/or drug dependencies.
- Diseases threatening life in the short term.
- Pregnancy (If you are pregnant then surgery should be avoided)
PREGNANCY AND BARIATRIC SURGERY :
- Pregnancy has to be planned atleast 12-18 months after the bariatric surgery. Artificial reproductive therapy(ART) can be initiated 12 months after bariatric surgery.
- Bangalore, Chennai, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Nagercoil, Tuticorin, Tenkasi